When exploring post modernism, it can be argued that many writers of this period employ narrative techniques such as metafiction to construct aspects of postmodern thought. Furthermore, it is possible to suggest that metafiction is one of the employed techniques. When discussing metafiction, it is possible to suggest that there are many forms that it can take (Waugh 2003). Therefore, whilst analysing ‘Lost in the Funhouse’ I am going to address metafiction in relation to self-conscious fiction.




"Barth' protagonists flounder to establish their place in the world, questioning whether they are living out the lives of their true selves or those of selves that they project upon themselves" (Martin 1997:1)



2 comments:

  1. Neat explanations of complex ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bit on Metafiction and agree about it only being relevant if a reader engages with the text. I didn’t really get Lost in the Funhouse, and now see its because I couldn’t engage in it. I think another reading of it might help me see more of it now. Thanks. Mx

    ReplyDelete